Critical Injury Group




Your Recovery Journey Starts Here

When you or someone you care about has been injured, what happens next is critical.

What Should I Do First?

First Step

It is important to meet with us as soon as possible in order to help you get access to the resources and care you need, to make a thorough recovery, and to get your life back on track.

At Harper Grey, you will find the personal support and legal expertise you need to help with your recovery journey and secure the compensation you deserve.










When I decided to pursue a career in law, I found that my knowledge and experience as a physiotherapist were an advantage to help my clients untangle their legal challenges. By understanding the rehabilitation and medical difficulties that my clients faced, I was able to support them better.

I am dedicated to carefully guiding my clients along their recovery pathway and helping them access the legal, financial, and community support they need to live a healthy and engaged life.

I have created this tool so that you will have the information you need.


What my clients say:

“Thank you for all the hard work you and your team put towards my case. I wouldn’t have had access to all of the necessary treatments for my recovery if it weren’t for all your help.”

“I sincerely appreciate the outcome you were able to realize for the injuries I sustained in the car accident.”

“Thank you so much! For all your hard work! I don’t know how we would have made it without you.”


We will work cooperatively with your family, care team, insurers, and other involved parties until a fair settlement is reached.

Injuries impact every part of your life and recovery is often a long emotional and physical road. You are likely entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, out of pocket expenses, past loss of income, care provided by loved ones, future loss of income, and future care costs.


You may also be obligated to seek reimbursement on behalf of the Government of British Columbia for care provided if you were injured in an accident that did not involve a motor vehicle.

How does a claim work?

With ICBC, the process begins by making an application for first party insurance or accident benefits.

In due course, you may have to start an action or lawsuit. Starting a lawsuit does not mean, necessarily, that you are going to end up in court.

Long before settlement, we will marshal the necessary medical and financial evidence to maximize your claim. The evidence may include reports from doctors, vocational consultants, therapists, and economists.

When do I sue?

In most cases, you have to sue before the 2 year anniversary of the accident. If you do not sue before the 2 year anniversary, then the law will bar you from receiving any compensation at all. You should speak with us as soon as possible because there may be a good reason to start your lawsuit well before the 2 year anniversary date.


How much can I expect to receive for my injuries?

This question is very common. In order to estimate the value of your case, we need to gain a thorough understanding of the nature and duration of your injuries and consider if there are any future consequences such as the loss of wages or care costs. Once we have that information, we can provide you with a valuation.

Typically, you will be awarded money for your:

  • Pain and suffering;
  • Out of pocket expenses (past and future); and
  • Lost wages (past and future).

You should be aware that in Canada, pain and suffering awards are capped at a maximum amount of approximately $360,000. This amount is reserved for people who have suffered catastrophic injuries such as becoming paralyzed in an accident.


It is important to know your rights before signing any documents or statements or providing access to your private information.

We do all of the necessary reporting while ensuring that your privacy is protected.


Do I speak to ICBC?

You are required to report your claim as soon as possible to ICBC’s Dial-a-Claim (604-520-8222 in the Lower Mainland or
1-800-910-4222 elsewhere in British Columbia, Canada, and the United States).

You should provide only information about the parties involved and basic details about how the accident happened. The information you provide should be accurate, concise, and factual. Do not discuss liability or who is at fault for the accident.


At times, ICBC will ask you to attend at a claim centre to meet an adjuster and sign a statement and authorizations. You are not required to sign these documents and it is a good idea to meet with us first. There are documents which need to be completed for ICBC and we assist with this process.



What do I do if ICBC has already told me that I am at fault?

ICBC’s decision about who is at fault for an accident is an internal decision and is not binding in Court.






What is a Property Adjuster?

A Property Adjuster deals only with property such as the repairs to your vehicle or taking care of a rental/replacement vehicle.

A Property Adjuster does not handle the injury part of your claim. You can deal with this adjuster on your own if you are comfortable with it.



What is an Accident Benefit Adjuster?

In British Columbia, an Accident Benefits Adjuster usually works for the same insurance company as the Property Adjuster.

An Accident Benefits Adjuster handles the first party or accident benefits portion of your claim such as benefits for medical care, rehabilitation, attendant care, and income replacement.

We recommend that you do NOT speak with a accident benefits adjuster.




What is a Third Party Bodily Injury Adjuster?

A Third Party Bodily Injury Adjuster works for the at fault party’s insurance company.

The job of a Third Party Bodily Injury Adjuster is to minimize your claim.

We recommend that you do NOT speak with a Third Party Bodily Injury Adjuster at all.

What if I do not have any insurance? Do I still have a case?

As long as the at fault party has insurance, you have a claim.

The insurance company for the at fault party will pay for the damage to your vehicle and for your pain and suffering, lost wages, and care costs.


How do I pay for my medical expenses?

In British Columbia, you are entitled to a maximum of $150,000 for first-party or accident benefits. Accident benefits are used to pay for medical care including equipment, rehabilitation, and transportation.

Depending on the expense, the accident benefits may cover all or some of the cost. If necessary, we provide financial assistance to ensure that our clients, who cannot afford the necessary medical care or rehabilitation, still receive treatment.


How much are your legal services going to cost?

Our fee is 25% of what we recover. We do not get paid until a settlement is reached and paid. If we do not recover any money for you, we do not collect any fees. It is that simple.

What are disbursements?

Disbursements are out-of-pocket expenses related to the investigation and litigation of your case.

Common disbursements are court filing fees and the costs of medical records and reports.

For a person who has suffered a critical injury, disbursements can exceed $100,000 before the matter is resolved.


Who will pay for my medical bills?

Your first-party or accident benefits insurer must pay for any reasonable and necessary medical and rehabilitation benefits.

Depending on the expense, the accident benefits may cover all or some of the cost. Any portion which is not covered by the accident benefits can be submitted to an extended health plan or will be reimbursed at the conclusion of your claim.

What if I am unable to go back to work?

You are entitled to wage loss benefits through the accident benefits provider but all other forms of replacement income, such as medical EI, sick time, or short and long term disability, must be exhausted first.

We assist with the necessary documentation to obtain these benefits.

Do you provide financial support while I wait for a settlement?

In some cases, we provide financial assistance in the form of a loan.

It is not unusual for us to invest thousands of dollars in a critical injury case. In one instance, we invested over $500,000.


The medical people involved in your care are dictated by your injuries.

Often, you will work with physiotherapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, and counselors. You may also need to work with an occupational therapist to get the equipment you need or a neuropsychologist for cognitive issues.

Ensure that you follow your doctors’ and therapists’ recommendations.


After sustaining an injury, it is important to meet with us as soon as possible to ensure that you understand the legal process and what to expect.

Our advice in the early stages is often helpful to ensure that you are headed in the right direction medically and legally.


Do I need to hire a lawyer?

It is very important to have us involved soon after your injury. There are a number of issues involved in navigating your claim and you will need someone who is experienced with coordinating all of the medical care, legal concerns, and work and family matters.

We take a personal interest in our clients and do everything possible to provide access to professionals who can assist in treating your injuries and proving that you are not at fault.

We can meet with you at our office in downtown Vancouver or anywhere in British Columbia that is most convenient for you.

What does a critical injury lawyer do?

We work cooperatively with your family, care team, and other involved parties until a settlement or judgment is reached.

We arrange access to the experts who are important to your case such as engineers, accountants, economists, vocational consultants, doctors, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, and kinesiologists.


How do I prepare for a consultation?

If you have been hurt, whether in a car accident, slip and fall, or other cause, you should:

  • Get the names and contact information (phone numbers, email addresses, residential addresses, etc.) for all witnesses and everyone involved.
  • If you were in a car accident, you should also note down each driver’s license and license plate number;
  • Take several pictures of the accident scene;
  • Take several pictures of your injuries; and
  • Make a summary and drawing of how the accident occurred.

Why Harper Grey?

The Harper Grey Critical Injury Group offers a deep team of skilled lawyers working on clients’ behalf to ensure they have a strong, knowledgeable voice supporting their complete care and recovery needs.

Our approach is focused on helping clients get their lives back on track after a severe injury. We start by considering the legal actions and implications, while securing immediate access to physicians and other health care providers needed for physical recovery.


We also connect clients with educational, financial and vocational consultants that help bring about a stable and sustainable return to an active, well-rounded life. The assistance we provide affects all aspects of our clients’ lives, including support for families and re-integration with the community.


We can help with:

  • Insurance
  • ICBC
  • Financial Assistance
  • Physicians
  • Rehabilitation
  • Care Facilities
  • Legal Rights

Contact Us

In all kinds of cases, in many different ways, we are here to help.

Book your free no-obligation consultation by simply giving me a call at 604.895.2840 or email me at

Rehabilitate, motivate and succeed.



Harper Grey LLP is a leading law firm in Western Canada. Founded over 100 years ago, we help clients navigate complex legal issues, guiding them towards dispute resolution and successful outcomes.

The foregoing contains some general legal information, based on the law of British Columbia. Readers should consult a lawyer to obtain specific legal advice about their particular situation.